Life on Mercury
Mercury is a bleak planet, closest to the Sun with no permanent atmosphere which could support life. It might have the highest percentage of oxygen in its atmosphere compared to all the other planets but its very cold and is blasted by the Sun's rays so life couldn't exist there. Mercury's temperatures range wildly from a high of 160 degrees to minus 160 degrees in the dark. Mercury has a magnetic field but one which is inferior to that of Earth, one that could not provide the shielding for life to exist. There is no appetite for having any base on the planet because of its temperature in the day time. There is nothing of interest there other than sending a few satellites to scan over the planet.
Mercury is a pock-marked planet with craters showing signs of impact. Mercury is the smallest of all planets now that Pluto has been downgraded from planet status. Mercury has no moons.
Mercurian Calendar Year
A day on Mercury is longer than a year so you'd have a whole year and more waiting for the day to end. With it being the nearest to the Sun, it has the shortest calendar year of all the planets.
- Mercury is the nearest planet to the Sun.
- There are no moons in orbit round Mercury
- The planet is classed as a rocky planet.
- Mercury derives its name from the Roman god for Messenger of the Gods.
- Mercury has been known for centuries ever since people looked to the stars and noticed a star moving across the sky.
- The mass of the planet is 0.33011 1024kg.
- The equatorial radius of the planet is 2439.7km whereas the volumetic mean radius is 2,439.70km.
- The equatorial circumference of the Mercury is 15,329.1km.
- The Mean Density of the planet is 5427 kg/m3.
- The surface acceleration of the planet is 3.7 m/s2.
- The time the planet takes to orbit round the Sun is 87.969 days or roughly 0.2 Earth Years.
- The length of a day on the planet is 4222.6 hours, i.e. the time it takes to revolve once on its axis.
- The average temperature of the planet is 440K/160C.
- The surface pressure of the planet is -10-15 .
- Mercury distance from the Sun is about 57,910,000.0km.
- The Orbit Eccentricity is 0.2056 degrees, that is how much the orbit deviates from a circle, between 0 and 1.
- The Orbit Inclination is 7 degrees, that is how much the orbit deviates from the plane, between 0 and 1.
- The volume of Mercury at the equator is 6.083.
- The escape velocity, the speed which is need to break free is 4.3.
- The surface gravity of Mercury is 3.7 compared to Earth which for purpose of this site is 1.
- The following gasses can be found in the Mercury's atmosphere :
- 42% Oxygen (O2).
- 29% Sodium (Na).
- 22% Hydrogen (H2).
- 6% Helium (He).
- 0.5% Potassium (K).
- possible trace amounts of Argon (Ar).
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2).
- Water (H2O).
- Nitrogen (N2).
- Xenon (Xe).
- Krypton (Kr).
- Neon (Ne) .
- More information and the source for the moon can be found at N.A.S.A.
- The page was last updated on 5/26/2018 9:35:28 am.
Add a Comment